What are the provisions of the law on the execution of the death penalty by lethal injection?
Reply by: hoidapphapluat
Under the provisions of Article 8 of Decree No. 82/2011 / ND-CP Provisions on the execution of the death penalty in the form of lethal injection, effective from November 1, 2011 as follows:
“first. The order of execution of the death penalty must comply with Clauses 2, 3 and 4, Article 59 of the Law on Execution of Criminal Judgments and provisions of this Decree. Persons sent to the death penalty execution are entitled to the food and drink standards equal to 5 times that of the holidays and Tet holidays prescribed for those held in detention.
2. Drugs put to use for the execution of the death penalty must be examined, sealed by the judgment execution council and recorded in writing according to regulations.
3. The person executed the death sentence is fixed to the bed with the position of lying on his back, ensuring not to obstruct the blood circulation.
4. Officers directly responsible for the execution of the death penalty are responsible for performing the following steps:
a) Prepare 3 doses of the drug (including 2 prophylactic doses);
b) Determine a vein to administer: in case the vein cannot be determined, report to the Chairman of the judgment execution council to request the doctor to assist in determining the vein;
c) Insert the needle already connected to the infusion tube into the vein determined in the following order:
– Step 1: Inject 05 grams of Sodium thiopental.
After this injection of anesthesia, professional officers performing the execution of the death penalty must conduct an examination.
– Step 2: Inject 100 milligrams of Pancuronium bromide.
– Step 3: Inject 100 grams of Potassium chloride.
d) Check the heart activity of the person being executed using an electrocardiogram. If after ten minutes that the person subject to the death sentence has not died, the examination officer must report to the Chairman of the judgment execution council to order the use of prophylactic drugs, to continue the second injection.
If two doses of the drug have been injected but the judgment creditors still have not died, the team leader must report to the President of the judgment execution council to issue the third injection order.
5. The implementation of the steps specified at Points b, c and d, Clause 4 of this Article may be carried out by an automatic or direct method.
6. According to the order of the President of the Judgment Execution Council, the forensic doctor shall examine and determine the status of the person being executed and report the results to the Council.
7. After the forensic doctor concludes that the person subject to the death penalty has died, according to the order of the Chairman of the Judgment Execution Council, the death penalty execution officer stops the transmission and takes the needle and the pipeline out of people executed the death sentence.
8. The death penalty execution council shall make a record according to the regulations on the death of the judgment debtor.
9. The settlement of the procedures after the judgment creditors has died shall comply with the provisions of Points e, g, h, Clause 4, Article 59 and Article 60 of the Law on Execution of Criminal Judgments ”